The Majjistral Nature and History Park is Malta's first natural national park.
The area in the northwest of Malta, which includes the coastal area from Golden Bay to Il-Prajjet and ix- XagÄ§ra l-Ä¦amra, was declared a national park by the Government of Malta by Legal Notice 251 of 2007 in September 2007. The Park has taken the name of the northwest wind/region: majjistral in the Maltese language.
The Park’s area includes a stretch of 6km of protected coast designated as part of a larger Special Area of Conservation of International Importance within the Natura 2000 network of sites as per the European Habitats Directive. The directive calls for the effective management of such sites through the adoption and implementation of management plans.
The Majjistral Park also contains a number of historical and archaeological sites that have been identified in one of a series of studies commissioned by the Malta Tourism Authority.
The park is freely accessible to visitors on foot and is a perfect place for walking especially during the cooler months between October and April. Sunset walks and snorkeling are good alternatives for the hotter period between May and September.
At a fee, the park also provide Snorkelling walks [Snorkelling for kids/students = Eur 10 (with own equipment: Eur 6) Snorkelling for adults = Eur 12 (with own equipment: Eur 10)] and Guided walks [Adults: €5 Children/Students: €3].
- REPTILES AND MORE: for a guided visit with local expert Arnold Sciberras as we dedicate the morning to herpetofauna and other natural features of the northern area of the park and its stupendous landscape of cliffs, clay slopes and boulder screes. The walk is on rugged terrain. Sunday 15th June at 8.30am – meeting point at Anchor Bay.
- SUMMER SOLSTICE: i.c.w the Astronomical Society of Malta
We meet at the Visitor Centre for a lecture on astrophotography by Leonard Ellul Mercer followed by a brief sunset walk topped up by some night sky observation with telescopes. 21st June 6.30pm
- GUIDED SNORKELLING: Once you have choosen your date below, kindly contact: Walks@majjistral.org.
Saturday 5th July 9am
Saturday 26th July 9am – for children aged 8+
Saturday 16th August 9am
- AFTER SUNSET – NATURAL LIFE AT THE PARK: We meet with naturalist John J. Borg for a talk on bats followed by a walk at dusk in the park. 18th July @ 7pm.
- Nature Walk at dusk 19th July at 19.00 .Nocturnal life nature walk. Entrance is free and donations are welcome
More details: http://mt.majjistral.org/home or email: Walks@majjistral.org
When attending this envent please say that you saw it mentioned on www.maltababyandkids.com