A Family Day of fun is being organised in the square in front of St.Luke's Hospital to mark the occassion of World Blood Donor Day.
The following is the programme of events being organised for the World Blood Donor Day Festival on Saturday 14th of June
* 09:00 – The Pieta' parish priest Fr. Vince Micallef blesses the event
* 09:05 – 15:00 – Animation by Ä orÄ¡ and Pawlu.
* 10:00 – 14:00 – Hip Hip Hurrah – Face painting and participation of characters Peppa Pig and Minions.
Visit by Her Exellency the President of Malta Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca. The President arrives in the square and is joined by the Director of the National Blood Transfusion Services.She addresses those present and afterwards she participates in a short ceremony where,together with a number of donors accompanied by their children,she will release red,orange and yellow balloons fly away-as a symbol of the blood products which the donors give to the patients.The President enters in the Blood Donation Centre and will speak to the donors who are present.Afterwards she will meet and greet the public.
* 13:00 onwards-Harley Owner Group- will bring their motorcycles to be viewed by the general public, which will be much appreciated by motorbike enthusiasts.
During the entire activity there will also feature:
* Around 10 artists who will paint and create a number of artworks.
* Singing and dancing from:
Creative Dance Studios, Kylie Cuschieri, Keith Dance Studio, Leah Debono, Dance Academy, Mariele Zammit, Sharp A Dancers, Fiona Cauchi, Nicole Azzopardi, Kurt Calleja, La Barocca, Gaia Cauchi, La Voix Choir, Firelight, Eleonor Cassar, Gianluca Bezzina, Dance Project Dorothy Bezzina, Arte Emotion, Corazon Mizzi, Bridgette Gauci Borda, Hip Hop Class of Warren and Ms Johane Casabene, Arts Excel, Nicole Hammet & Cain Portelli.
– The Transplant Support Group
– The Assosciation of Midwives
– The Red Cross Society
– The St. Johns Ambulance Brigade
:Health and Government Departments:
– .The participation of the Department of Civil Protection including the participation of the Departments vechicles,including the Fire Engine, as well as the Search and Rescue dogs.
– The Department of Health Promotion and Sickness Prevention who will be available for advice regarding health issues.
– The Department of Primary Care for blood sugar and blood pressure testing.
– Thanking the blood donors.
-The patients who at one time or another received blood transfusions are encourage to bring along a Thank You card with them and present this to the donors who saved their lives.
– Blood Donation:
The public may donate blood from 08:00 to 18:00.
– Food and Drink:
During the activity vegetables,fruit and healthy food may be purchased. Water will be available to purchase at a reduced price.With every bottle of water a free cereal bar will be given out free of charge.
– Press Coverage:
This activity will be broadcast LIVE on Radio Malta.
The public may park for free in The Multi-Storey Car Park next to St.Luke's Hospital.
– We urge the general public to wear hats in order to protect themselves from the harmful rays of the sun.